How Electrical Safety Inspections Can Prevent Electrical Fires

Category: Electrical


 


New Haven Electrical Safety InspectionsBecause we use our electrical systems every day and for such a wide range of different tasks and activities, it’s easy to take electricity for granted. It’s important to remember, however, that electrical systems are extremely dangerous, so keeping them in great condition is extremely important to both the functionality and the safety of your home. Keeping your home’s electrical system well-maintained can go a long way toward prevent fires in your home, which is why electrical safety inspections are so important.

Some common electrical problems that can cause fires include problems with:

  • Wiring and related equipment
  • Lamps, light fixtures, and light bulbs
  • Cords and plugs
  • Transformers and power supplies

The best way to prevent an electrical fire in your home is to make sure that your electrical system is always in the best condition possible. At Electrical Services Group, our New Haven electricians recommend that you have electrical safety inspections performed regularly.

Here are a few signs that you may be in need of an electrical inspection:

Old or Outdated Wiring

Most electrical wiring systems can be expected to last for around 30 or 40 years, but about one-third of homes in the U.S. have had the same wiring for over 50 years. If your New Haven home’s electrical wiring is in need of an update, you may notice these signs:

  • Fuses that frequently blow
  • Circuit breaker trip repeatedly
  • You use extension cords and surge protectors in several outlets

Extension cords, surge protectors, and switching circuits back on should all be temporary solutions to problems. If they become normal parts of your home life, you should have your electrical system inspected to ensure that it’s safe. Our electricians will help you determine whether your wiring needs to be replaced.

Aluminum Wiring

During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum wiring was very widely used, but it is no longer recommended. Aluminum oxidizes very quickly, and that can cause it to corrode, which leads to dangerous problems. While aluminum wiring is safe to use for a short period of time, it has a short lifespan, and once it begins to corrode, it can put your home at risk of an electrical fire.

It’s possible that your entire home may need new wiring, but most of the time, you’ll only need to have it partially re-wired. During an electrical safety inspection, our professionals will be able to let you know whether the aluminum wiring in your home is safe for use.

If you are looking for a Connecticut Electrician then please call 888.892.3335 or complete our online request form.